Monday, August 11, 2008

Don't Call Me...




Grand maw, granny, mee maw or any of the other monikers that grandmother's get placed on them. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about becoming a grandmother. Grandparents have special privileges that parents don't have. At least that is what all of the lovely folks who take my SilverSneakers classes tells me. "Oh, Sonya, you are just going to love being a grandmother." I have a few weeks until this new status is achieved.

Technically I am already a grandmother. Heather married a man with a couple of sons. Michael lives with them so Heather has been helping to raise him for a few years now. Michael calls me Sonya and that's okay. I also have a grand-dog named Butters. When Heather first got him she was still living at home. For some reason I became Nono to Butters. Whenever Heather comes to visit now she'll ask Butters if he wants to go to Nono's house. He gets all excited. He's very smart and he behaves very well when he visits. Just like a grandchild. When he is at his own home he can be a naughty little guy. Barking at everything, knocking his water bowl around.

All of my grandparents are deceased. My dad's parents passed away in the mid 1970's. I'm not sure of how old they were when they died. I did not spend a whole lot of time with them. I have some memories of them though. Granny Crowe was an awesome cook and believe me no one left her table hungry. If you did it was your own fault. She made the very best coconut cake. I remember watching television with Papa Crowe. We watched wrestling and roller derby. As a kid I wanted to join the roller derby. I was hell on wheels with my skates.

My mother's mother passed away in 1990. I spent a lot more time with Granny Coggins. Whenever we visited from whatever Army base we were living at at the time, we stayed with Granny Coggins. She was also the chosen babysitter when my parent's and my aunt's and uncle's decided they needed a weekend in the Smoky Mountains. One of those weekend trips resulted in the arrival of my baby brother nine months later. Mother swears it was the pancakes and mountain air. I have a sneaky suspicion it was something else, but we won't go into that here.

So my grandparenting adventure will begin soon. I cannot wait to meet Ian. I hope I get to be the cool grandmother, just don't call me Big Mama.

0 comments: