Thursday, July 24, 2008

Manchester England England

across the Atlantic sea...across the pond. I'm really not too sure how far our home is from Newcastle Upon Tyne, but our youngest is heading that way soon. She has been accepted to study abroad in England. This child has had a varied college life. One year at Auburn. One totally wasted semester at Georgia College and State University. Let's just say that her living conditions were not what she was use to there. We brought her home at Christmas break. After a semester off she finally got it together and enrolled for classes again. This time locally and living at home. It was a slow start but she has managed to bring her GPA up to qualify for HOPE. Lo and behold she has also made the deans list!

So me, being the mom I am, I am torn. Part of me is worrying about the whole experience for her. So far from home. No family. One good thing, they do speak English there. The other part of me wants to throw a party! I look forward to having an empty nest. My husband claims that he will no longer wear clothes when he is home. This of course brings shrieks of ewwwww from the daughter that is leaving. I'm not of the mind that clothing optional will be for me. I kind of like clothing. I actually think I look better clothed than naked, but that's a whole other story.

Anywho, I digress. This is about a child who has never really been too self sufficient going hundreds of miles away from home. We've explained that we cannot just get in the car and visit or go get her like when she was in Auburn or Macon. I think she does understand that there is the issue of a large body of water involved. I'm sure that I am worrying needlessly. That is what I will continue to tell myself.

0 comments: